Social media has become a big part of pretty much everyone’s life – whether we like it or not. Having that in mind, social media management has become a real job. Just like any other, yes. If you have ever posted on any social network, be it Facebook, Instagram, TikTok or something else, you have encountered around 5% of social media managers’ jobs.
So, to better understand the 95% that we have left, let me tell you a little bit about the things social media managers do and don’t do. Here is the 5 big myths about social media management:
1. Social media managers scroll through Instagram all day
Spoiler alert – we scroll (a lot) in our free time. But, when we are working on projects with many clients, there is little to no time for mindless scrolling through social media. The job of social media manager consists of strategic planning, research, creative thinking, post planning, content creation, communication with followers and/or clients, reporting and many more smaller tasks.
2. It only takes few hours a week to manage Social media
When you see the final product – great social media presence, you can be easily fooled that it is very simple to get to that stage. But the reality is not that simple. Some social media strategies take teams and weeks to be made. Let’s put it this way, if we are talking about one simple weekly posting plan, this is what needs to be done:
- quick briefing about what we need to post about in the upcoming week,
- content creation (photographing and filming),
- brief for the designer (what kind of visuals need to be made),
- copywriting for the descriptions and visuals,
- fact checking everything (since we are not professionals in every field we work on),
- sending the plan for approval,
- implementing changes when needed,
- scheduling posts,
- tracking the success of the post,
- reporting about the posts.
I think we can agree this takes more than a few hours, having in mind there are multiple clients receiving these services, and these steps are only posting plan related.
3. It’s a low stress job
4. Once you learn how to do it, it’s easy peasy
5. Anyone can be social media manager
I don’t know how many times I have heard this: Oh, you are a social media manager? I really love Instagram, can you set me up with a job in ForgeBIT? Well, sure you need to love social media to be a social media manager, but you also need to be aware of the rest of the skill set you need to have or need to learn in order to do this job right. Anyone can be anything they want to be if they put their mind to it.
So, if you are thinking about starting your social media manager career, feel free to send us an email, and if you are looking for someone to get social media management tasks off your back, contact us here, and let’s start working together.